The most popular post on this blog, hands down, is My Ultimate Pumpkin Bread post, and one of my personal favorites is my Zucchini Bread post, so now that it’s October, I thought, why not do a mashup? The spices for pumpkin and zucchini bread are so similar, it seems like a marriage made in heaven. And, I’ve been getting a lot of zucchini in my weekly produce box from Full Circle lately.
This version came out perfectly moist. Make sure you squeeze the excess water out of your shredded zucchini. Just press between paper towels before adding to the mixture. I used this kind of grater to prepare the zucchini:
Play with the sugar to meet your tastes. I’ve tried it with 2 cups and it’s perfect for folks who don’t like their quick breads too sweet. I prefer it with 2 1/2 or even 3 cups of sugar.
This recipe makes 2 loaves!
- 3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1½ cups grated zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini)
- 1 15 oz can of pureed pure pumpkin
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F and spray 2 9-inch loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl (including the sugar).
- In the bowl of a large standup mixer, cream the butter. Then add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until fully incorporated. Add the milk and beat until mixed. Add the pumpkin and zucchini and mix on medium until blended.
- Take bowl away from standup mixer. Add bowl of dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until all is moistened. Do not overmix.
- Bake for 45 - 60 minutes or until top is golden brown and a knife inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from the pan.