My kids (8 and 5) absolutely adore pizza. Not broccoli pizza. But pizza with cheese, a little red sauce (not too much) and shredded grilled chicken. This pizza dough works like a charm. The rye flour gives it a rich, nutty flavor that I absolutely love. Using the Reinhart method of slow rising in the fridge and minimal kneading means I can make it in the morning while we’re all getting ready for the day, have rise in the fridge while we’re at work and school and then voila: it’s ready to go when we return home.
The trick to making it easy to prepare during the morning rush? A KitchenAid Artisan Series 5-Quart Mixer:
The dough does need to sit out for an hour after being refrigerated, but if you pop it out of the fridge as soon as you walk in the door, it’s about ready to go when the oven is preheated and the fixin’s are ready.
Photo by reivax
- 2 cups dark rye flour
- 2 cups Animo Caputo "00" flour
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1¾ - 2 cups of warm water
- Combine all ingredients with the mixing paddles of your stand-up mixer. Allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Swap in dough-hook and need on a medium setting for 5 minutes. The dough will still be rather sticky.
- Separate dough into two pieces and place each in an oiled freezer bag. Place the bags in the refrigerator (or in the freezer if you don't intend to use them with 48 hours). When you are ready to use the dough, remove it from the refrigerator at least 1 hour before it's time to bake it. The dough needs to come to room temperature (in the bag so that it doesn't dry out).
- Roll the dough out into a large circle on a pizza pan that has been sprayed with a little nonstick cooking spray. Bake in an oven that has been preheated to 450˚F for about 5 minutes. Then add the sauce and toppings and bake for an additional 10 minutes or so.
5 replies on “Homemade Rye Pizza Dough”
Seems to be easy. I have to try next weekend 😉
This recipe worked well for our Monday pizza night! I have two young boys and after greasing up their hands to work with the dough, they had a blast pressing out their pizzas and decorating them. I like that its not all white flour, too. It doesnt really rise in the fridge, but dont let that deter you. It still made a doughy crust. Definitely making it again!
What is amino caputo 00 flour and where would I find it.
What is amino Caputo 00 flour and where can I find it?
I know that feeling all too well. I burn the life out of galirc bread and have been banned from using the oven for life. 🙂 Luckily, my 16-year old daughter is a great cook, so between her and hubby they keep us all well fed.