Sometimes you just want the brownie you grew up with – but made with really good chocolate. December 8 is National Brownie Day, so why not celebrate by going out and purchasing a Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar and turning it into an 8×8″ pan of awesomeness? These classic brownies have Ghirardelli Chocolate Chips in them too.
I live near San Francisco, so I learned, shortly after moving here 13 years ago, that it’s pronounced with a gggg as in good. Not a g is in geez. It’s Good Ghirardelli. Now you can be in the know too!
I’m going to be selling them at the Church Christmas Bakesale tomorrow! Nothing like a little chocolate for Christmas. Happy Holidays!
- 4 oz. Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Baking Bar (1 bar)
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup + 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter and flour an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Chop the 4 ounces of semi sweet chocolate bars into 1" pieces. In the top of a double boiler or in a heatproof bowl over barely simmering water, melt the 4 chopped chocolate and butter, stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove the pan from the heat and let cool to room temperature. Stir the brown sugar and vanilla into the chocolate mixture. Add the eggs and mix well. In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly fold the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture, mixing well until blended. Stir in the chocolate chips and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting into 2-inch squares.