There’s nothing likely whipping up a little quick bread (muffin, cupcake, bread, whatever) to satisfy the baking need. Mix the wet ingredients. Mix the dry ingredients. Put them together without overmixing, bake and voila! A sweet, sumptuous little treat in no time.
October = pumpkin for me, in case you didn’t know. Psst. There are like 40 pumpkin recipes in this blog. I’ve done pumpkin-chocolate chip cookies before, but never pumpkin chocolate chip muffins (or cupcakes as the case may be). Some people love the combo, and I am one of them. These are equally good with or without the icing, I think. So if you can’t be bothered with the icing, don’t be!
The Best Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Yummy pumpkin chocolate chip cupcakes - perfect for a Halloween party.
Recipe type: Dessert
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups canned pure pumpkin
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- pinch ground cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- For the frosting:
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Prepare muffin tins by either spraying them with cooking spray or lining them with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, white sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin, vanilla extract, and vegetable oil. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt.
- In three batches, add the flour to the wet ingredients and stir to incorporate. Don't overmix, but incorporate thoroughly.
- Fold in the chocolate chips. Fill muffin cups at least ¾ of the way full. I like to create a big muffin top, so I fill them almost all the way.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown on top and a knife inserted comes out clean. If you have to have two layers of tins in your oven, rotate them halfway through the cooking time for even baking.
- To make the icing:
- While the muffins are baking, you can make the icing. With an electric hand mixer, cream together the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and confectioner's sugar until completely smooth, Allow to chill if need be.
- To ice the cupcakes:
- Once the cupcakes come out of the oven, they will need to cool before you can ice them. Once they are cooled, you can fill a pastry bag with your icing and pipe it out into large concentric circles.
4 replies on “The Best Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting”
What a great treat for the fall. These look very hard to resist. I love the flavor combo and the nice high rise of the cupcakes. Thanks for sharing this delicious post!
I’m 21, from California, currently living in London studying abroad. I just have to let you know that I made these cupcakes for Thanksgiving and everyone loved them. My roommates have forced me to make another batch. I made 27 cupcakes yesterday and they have all been eaten by today. I know I’m going to be using this amazing recipe for years to come. THANK YOU.
Just found this recipe. My kids and I are baking these this afternoon. Thank you for the recipe. I’ll check out the rest of your blog!
These are simply wonderful! I used mini-chocolate chips and baked them in mini muffins and they turned out perfect. I baked them for 10 minutes.