To help celebrate Grilled Cheese Month and to join in Panini Happy’s Grilled Cheese Pageant and because I just had a craving for a dish like this, I decided to make an indulgent, grilled cheese sandwich filled with scrambled eggs.
This take on the grilled cheese actually comes to life in a skillet and in the oven (rather than in a panini press). La Brea bread is the only bread to use here, in my humble opinion, but if you can’t find La Brea bread where you live, any french baguette will do. I am also partial to Tilamook Sharp Cheddar cheese and am thrilled that I can buy it pre-sliced now. (My kids love it too). Of course, this sandwich could benefit from any of your other favorite additions to scrambled eggs: chives, parsley, bits of ham or bacon, and on and on.
Scrambled Egg Grilled Cheese with Leeks
1. Heat olive oil in a 10 inch skillet over medium heat. Add leeks and sautée gently until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent browning. Turn on the broiler in your oven.
2. Slice the Demi baguette in half. Tear the cheese slices in half and layer them onto the pieces of bread.
3. In a medium bowl, beat the two eggs. Add a little bit of water and beat. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Once leeks are soft, and you are getting ready to cook the eggs, put the bread in the oven on the middle rack. Turning back to the stove, stir the leeks around to ensure that they are not stuck to the pan. Pour in the eggs and let set for about a minute. Start scraping gently and turning them over, allowing the egg to set a bit in between stirs. The eggs will finish in about another minute or two. Remove from heat. If you think the eggs are going to overcook in the pan, remove them to a plate.
5. Once the cheese is melted, and the bread is slightly brown, remove the bread from the oven and place on a plate. Spoon eggs onto bottom slice. Season with additional pepper, if desired and any other fresh herbs you want. Top with other slice of bread and serve immediately.