Fall is my favorite time of year and these cupcakes are just what I need to get in the mood. The shadows are lengthening and out here in San Francisco, the air is more humid than usual and it’s warmer. When I lived on the East Coast, the arrival of Fall was all about feeling a cold nip in the air. Here in San Francisco where the summers are freezing, it’s quite the opposite. The weather heats up as the leaves are turning brown.
Spiced Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Perfect for a Halloween Party
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed firmly
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup milk
- 1½ cups pure pumpkin puree
- For the frosting:
- 1 package cream cheese
- 1½ sticks (12 Tbsp) unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp cinnamon, plus extra for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Line cupcake tray (24) with paper liners.
- In a standing mixer, cream the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar on high speed until fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix at a medium speed until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients. Add about a third of the dry ingredients to wet, alternating with the milk, until all are incorporated. Add pumpkin puree and mix well.
- Fill cupcakes two-thirds full and bake for 18 – 22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let stand for a couple of minutes. Then remove from muffin tin and let cool completely.
- To make the frosting:
- Let the cream cheese and butter soften before creaming them together on high speed with a mixer. Cream in the sugar, vanilla and cinnamon until smooth and light. Chill in the fridge overnight (or at least for a few hours) to let it set.
- Spread on cupcakes and garnish with a pinch of cinnamon.
1 reply on “Spiced Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting”
Yummy!!! I have to try this winter, now it’s too warm to use the oven 😉