So today I thought I might make another lentil salad, but I accidentally overcooked the red lentils. Chango presto, it’s lentil burger time. My hubby had just requested a bean burger not made with soy, so voila. Here’s my opportunity.
I wanted to make something with real flavor punch that would sing several notes, not just one. So instead of using Curry Powder or even a store-bought Garam Masala, I introduced Indian flavors by incorporating turmeric and fenugreek. Indian isn’t the only note playing here. With cumin and coriander, there’s a little Southwest happening and with the Cayenne pepper, the burger hits the tongue HOT. The fresh cilantro cools and sweetens. Try it today! Super healthy. Totally vegan. No flavor compromise.
Spicy Red Lentil Burgers with Cilantro
Fenugreek, Cumin, Cayenne and Cilantro come together for a spicy, Indian inspired vegan burger.
Author: Amy Wilson
- ½ cup dry lentils
- 1½ cups water
- 1 small red onion
- 8-10 mini carrots, chopped in a mini food processor
- ½ cup raw almonds chopped in a mini food processor
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp Cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground fenugreek
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped finely
- 2 tsp salt
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 buns
- To prepare the lentils, bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add lentils, reduce heat and cover partially. Simmer for about 15 minutes, which will overcook the lentils. Remove from heat and set aside uncovered.
- In a separate saute pan, heat a Tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped onion and saute until onions are softened, about 5 minutes. Add shredded carrots and garlic and continue cooking, stirring frequently.
- Add chopped almonds, cumin, coriander, cayenne, turmeric, and fenugreek and continue to saute for a minute or two more while these flavors meld. Then remove from heat.
- In a medium large mixing bowl, combine the lentils, onion mixture, cilantro, and salt. Stir to combine well. Shape into 4 patties.
- In a large skillet over medium flame, heat the olive oil. Add patties and sautee until golden brown on one side, about 3 minutes. Flip and repeat. Serve immediately. These can be stored and cooked later.
2 replies on “Spicy Red Lentil Burger with Cilantro”
You never say what to do with the almonds
Good catch. I’ve added it in now. They should be added in with the spices. Thanks!